Hi everybody! I have decided I want to start a new challenge, a hair challenge. The challenge is to bring my hair to the ultimate healthiest state.
To give you a little background, I was blessed with really good hair since I was a child. I grew up with a mother who always made sure my skin, hair, teeth and nails were at their best state at all times. Here is where I messed up. She would literally take my sister and I to the best salons for regular treatments and scalp massages to promote healthy hair growth.
I knew I was lucky. I figured since I have a lot of hair and it seems to deal fine with my thing for heat styling and bleach I got greedy.
I started highlighting my hair more frequently, got addicted to heat styling and to make a long story short I did some damage. I mean nothing THAT bad… but still. I know how much healthier my hair can be and the potential it has.
My first step was a visit to Texture Hair Salon to see Ramsey @dearhairdresser.ca where he took off about 2 inches to clean up any dead ends. Since I already have a balayage, we did a toner with an Olaplex treatment in salon because my colour had gotten brassy from my beach vacation last month.
I realize this will not be an overnight miracle and I’m 100% prepared to fully commit to getting my hair healthy so I created a really fun challenge and I would love it if you guys joined me!
Here is what it entails…
1. Heatless styling. Yes, no more straight hair for me. I will be unleashing my inner Shakira and embracing my natural curls.
2. Hot Oil treatments – @Kopari coconut treatment is a really good one! Just warm it up and apply to your entire head. Make sure to massage into your scalp, this increases blood flow and promotes hair growth. Olive oil, caster oil, rose mary oil, grape seed, avocado oil, and jojoba oil are all really great too. Try to alternate each time to get the benefits of all oils.
3. Rinse Therapy– After shampooing and conditioning your hair, take a cup of apple cider vinegar and rinse your hair with it. Do not wash this out. Don’t worry you will not smell like vinegar. You will love how shiny your hair gets after rinses. You can also do Rose Mary rinses. Boil rose mary and use the water to rinse your hair. This is a really easy and effective home remedy!
4. Use good quality Clean Products-. Look for Sulfate free Shampoo/ Silicone free conditioners.
5. Regular Trims– Don’t worry, you don’t need to cut a lot off. One inch clean ups every 4-6 weeks go a long way.
6. Deep Conditioning. Olaplex- No. 1 and 2 are used at the salon during the colour stage, but make friends with Olaplex No. 3. You will use this treatment once a week and leave it overnight. Olapex is currently THE best treatment in the market for anyone looking to repair any damage. The process includes a patented active ingredient that works on a molecular level to seek out broken bonds in the hair that are caused by chemical, thermal, and mechanical damage. It is a bond multiplier and you will love it.
What do you say? Will you join me? It can actually be really fun to rock different heatless hairstyles.
Will keep you guys posted on my journey!